We just can’t get enough of this salad. The sweet of the mango or pomegranate seeds, with the gentle spice of the chilli and kick of the onion, with the tang of the lime in the salad dressing, the crunch of the celery and cucumber, along with the mint and basil, makes it heavenly! Everyone who has had this salad has loved it.
- ¼ small red onion, finely diced
- ½-1 medium red chilli, finely sliced
- 3-4 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery*, finely sliced
- 10-15 slices cucumber, diced
- ½ mango, thinly sliced or ½ pomegranate, seeded
- Soft leaf salad or thinly sliced baby gem lettuce
- Handful of cooked shredded chicken
- 2 stalks basil plant – leaves only, torn
- 2 stalks of mint plant – leaves only, torn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½-1 lime, juice only
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, if desired
Whisk with a fork to combine before adding to the salad. If it’s too bitter then add a bit more lime and if it’s too sour then add more syrup.
Toss together then serve and enjoy!
*Celery is an allergen – swap with different vegetable as appropriate
And how does this salad help reduce inflammation?
- Celery contains two flavonoids called apigenin and luteolin, both of which powerfully reduce inflammation.
- Red onion contains quercetin, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- Extra virgin olive oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, as are basil, pomegranates and radishes
- The variety of fruits and vegetables feeds our good gut bacteria, which in turn supports our immune system and helps to reduce inflammation