I was totally inspired this week to come up with a different salad combo – and this was every bit as delicious as it looks! Incredibly simple yet totally nutritious.
- 1 bag of watercress, washed and tough stalks removed
- 3 baby new potatoes, washed and boiled
- 1/3 cucumber, washed and diced
- 1/2 apple, washed and finely sliced
- 1 salmon fillet, roasted then flaked
- 1/2 red chilli, washed and finely sliced (optional)
Assemble the salad ingredient in the order above and sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper over the top to finish.
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 small clove of garlic, crushed or finely sliced
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp Himalyan salt, ground
- 2 tbsp water
To make the dressing, put the tahini, garlic, lime juice and salt in a small bowl and mix. Gradually add the water and continue to mix. Add more water if you prefer a thinner dressing. Drizzle over the top of the salad.
And how does this salad help reduce inflammation?
Salmon is an oily fish high in essential omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and vital for brain and heart health.
Apple contains a flavonoid called quercetin, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
Garlic is also an antioxidant.
Watercress is a bitter vegetable, which stimulates digestive enzymes, and it also contains over 40 different flavonoids – making it a powerful antioxidant.
The variety of fruits and vegetables feeds our good gut bacteria, which in turn supports our immune system and helps to reduce inflammation.